There are some books that get recommended to you, and while you were skeptical about them you realized between page one and the end that it had become a favorite. That doesn’t always happen, in fact I’d say most recommendations don’t turn out like that. Most times you enjoy it, but it didn’t stand up to your own favorite, or you question why someone would recommend such a book to anyone. This post is about those books I’ve had recommended to me, and I’m eternally grateful to the individuals that did the recommending. How’s that for giving thanks in November? If you see this as a challenge, feel free to comment below the book recs that you are grateful for, and don’t forget to like and subscribe!
Throne of Glass (Booktube)
- These books were floating around for a while before I picked them up, almost all at once at the time back in 2014/2015. So many booktubers were talking up this series, and I was beginning to question the reasons not to read it, so I got them and then I got hooked. Since reading those first four books I’ve been addicted, and pulled along on the roller coaster ride this series is. Sarah J Maas creates a story world and characters that just seem to grow as we get further and further along. Things change and people change, and this series does an excellent job of showing that, and making you love it more for that.
The Wrath and the Dawn (Booktube)
- Perhaps one of my all time favorite recommendations, Sasha Alsberg was talking up this book, and the more I heard the more I knew I needed that book. The moment I sat down with this book was the moment I knew I couldn’t live without reading Renee Ahdieh’s amazing works. Her books are incredibly descriptive, going in detail from the clothes to the mouth watering food. It just makes you wish you were a part of the worlds even if that might prove lethal.
Lord of the Rings (My Dad)
- This is probably one of the biggest recommendations to my reading life, and one of the few I’ve read that come recommended by family members. Most times my family tends to let me find my own books to read and then question why I need so many books. My Dad though repeatedly pushed these books my way, and told me about how he had grown up reading them while snacking on his m&ms. Finally I relented and gave this series a go, and while the Fellowship presents a slow start, it was worth it, and has made the series one of my all time favorites.
The Winner’s Curse (About anyone on Goodreads, Bookstagram, Booktube)
- One of my big series of this year, I was blown away by how awesome and fast paced the three books were. I was originally planning to only read the first book then ask for the next ones, but when I finished it I immediately ordered the next books and inhaled them too. This series has been highly recommended not only on Goodreads, but on youtube, and by almost all Young Adult Fantasy readers I have talked to. I was late to the party, but at least it made the cliff hangers easier to deal with!
Court of Thorns and Roses (Booktube)
- Considering I was already loving the Throne of Glass series I’m still surprised it took Booktube talking up the first book for me to grab it. I honestly don’t know what is wrong with me on that count. This book though, holy cow. From the moment you start it pulls you in, and then it’s like what is breathing? I completely lost track of the outside world while reading this, and all the books that followed. When each book came out it took everything in me not to check twitter or other social media so no one could spoil this masterpiece for me. I’m a total Court of Thorns and Roses fan, not going to deny it.
All in all, recommendations are a very big part of the book world and community. It’s how readers show off what they loved, and how friends try to run away when they realize you may have more than a couple books to recommend. Most times I don’t do well with unsolicited recommendations, but when I hear of a book that sounds amazing, you had better believe I will pick it up!
What are some books that you are glad were recommended to you? What are some of your favorites? Let me know in the comments, and don’t forget to like and subscribe if you enjoyed this!
*** I do not own any of the pictures used in this post ***